2/28/12

Up-date on David

After two decent days in the hospital, David had gone from needing 3 liters of O2 to only a quarter liter.  The next morning at 4 am they had to turn up his o2 to a half liter.  He stayed at a half liter all day the next day but as night approached his sats started dropping below 75.  The turned it up at 11 pm and then again around 5 am.  The nurses started to worry  when his sats kept being so low. When David woke up this morning he started coughing and his sats dropped to 66 even with 3 liters of o2 flowing into his nose!!! The night nurses scared us to death as they had started speculating about his heart being damaged by the coughing and not able to keep up.  They were talking about his next surgery as well as the possibility of him needing to go to the ICU.  The day nurse and charge nurse suctioned him a few times and called his pulmonologist.  He came as well as his cardiologist, pacemaker tec, floor cardiologist and floor nurse practitioner.  They ordered an x-ray and more treatments. 

The thought now is that the flem in his lungs is loosening and he's trying to cough it up.  With RSV the secretions are very sticky and thick.  As he works them up from his lungs they are blocking him from getting enough oxygen.  So his sats dropping so dangerously is sort of a good sign in a way.  It means his lungs are clearing...just not clear yet. 

Today got better as we ended the day on 1 liter with sats in the low 70s.  Definatly not as good as no o2 and sats of 79 (normal for him), but alot better than sats of 66 on 3 liters (dangerous!).

One thing I've heard about Heterotaxy kids is that they tend to take 2 steps forward one step back.  It's a roller coaster but at least his heart isn't damaged and his lungs are clearing.  We are praying his sats don't drop so low he ends up in the ICU as he gets through this virus.
Thank you a million for all the prayers, each and everyone!

1 comment:

  1. On no! Looks like I am way behind! I just got caught up on this hospital stay and I just hope that David can get all that nasty junk cleared from his lungs. I am crossing my fingers that today will be the turning point for him. Hang in there! I wish I lived closer to help watch your other kids and bleach the house! :)

    ReplyDelete