5/18/11

Tube Feeding

David has been doing really well.  Our big adventure for the week has been trying to consistently give him pureed foods through his g-button.  Now that he's one he needs to have something besides breast milk or infant formula.  They wanted me to switch him to Ensure or Boost for kids. I immediately felt uneasy about it.  Water, sugar, oil and vitamins just doesn't seem right for a child with no digestive problems or allergies to live on!!!!  I came a cross a forum on tube fed children and someone mentioned the pureed food option.  I was instantly sold.  After pouring over families accounts and medical reports I was doubly sold that it was something I desperately wanted for David.  How to get food to be thin enough to fit through a tiny straw-like tube and not clog his g-button was gonna be a challenge. A wonderful blessing came when David had his 1st birthday party and family and friends had pooled money together and bought him a mega high powered blender.  I was THRILLED, to say the least.  I immediately started introducing small amounts of food day by day in the (make sure they aren't allergic) way you should with any baby. During his one year check up I got the whole plan approved by his pediatrician.  This week I have made a recipe for him that includes avocado, black beans, spinach, blueberries, plain Greek style yogurt and coconut oil.  I know I'm forgetting something but I just can't remember.  I give it to him 2 times a day.  He seems to be tolerating it well.  I have been shocked a few times by his diapers!  I plan to keep with the two times a day for the next week then go up to three.  I also plan to incorporate brown rice, lentils, and some other veggies.  I have a few more recipes in the works but need to see if I can get him the calories he needs while making it thin enough to go through his tube.  He just can't handle large volumes at  time so everything needs to be very calorie dense.  It's a work in progress but I'm sooo thrilled to be doing it.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! A full diet of pediasure doesn't sound like a good mix to me either! Have you even looked at Owen's blog? His mom, Andrea, is a HUGE believer in the blended foods diet and she posted a lot of her recipes not too long ago. You might go to their blog and email her for some ideas. I hope for your sake that he continues to experiment with oral feeds, but in the meantime, it must be nice to know that his diet is probably more balanced than any other one year old you know!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are doing this. I can't imagine living on pediasure can be good for anyone except those who can't do anything else. I'm glad you have this option!

    ReplyDelete