Eating asparugus..sorta!
Wishing he was big enough to ride bikes with his brothers.
Yeah for one tooth!
I guess I should blog about the adventure yesterday. It's still pretty raw and I think I'm just trying to forget it. But before I do, I need to write it out as yet another thing David has been through.Sunday afternoon at 12:45 David woke up from a nice nap. He laid sleepily in the bend of my leg for a few minutes while Andy and I talked in the living room. I noticed him startle once and thought "poor thing he isn't quite awake yet. Caleb rushed up to him and rubbed his cheek and he startled again, then again randomly. "Weird" I thought, "no one really touched him." I started to wonder if this was a small seizure. David kept jerking, like a baby does when startled, eye wide and arms lifting slightly. He seemed mentally there until they got faster. He looked at Andy and smiled. Half way through the smile his face dropped. He tried to smile again and another jerk caused his face to drop expressionless half way through the smile. That's when I said "This is a seizure! We have to take him to the hospital." I stood up and sorta walked in a circle thinking "What do I do?" Did I need his milk? Did I need his meds? Were we all going to get in the car? That's when I said "Please give him a blessing then I'm calling 911 to see what to do." The 911 lady asked me a few questions but when I asked her If I could just take him, If there was something I could do, and such she just totally ignored me. I was so mad I just handed the phone to Andy. I was still holding David in my arms and his face was getting puffy and so pale. I held him as paced the house waiting for the ambulance. I gathered his medical information I had thankfully typed onto a handy sheet a few weeks ago. I also looked at the clock and started timing this seizure.
The ambulance arrived. He was still having the seizure. They took us into the ambulance and hooked him up to the monitors. They asked me a ton of questions about his medical conditions as we rushed to the hospital. Due to his special care they decided to take us strait to Cook Children's. Unfortunately on the way the radiator blew in the ambulance and we had to pull over and wait for another ambulance to take us. Thankfully by then the seizure had stopped. David was becoming more alert and his numbers on the monitors we surprisingly good. he was still quite pale and puffy but doing well enough that I wasn't freaking out that we had to wait 15 min pulled to the side of the road.
The rest is all the boring stuff. I carried him into the hospital. Everyone kept asking me if this was his normal color. The neurologist didn't bother coming by and just said to put him back on Keppra. They did check his lungs with an x-ray for signs of aspiration and they checked him for RSV since he's still not quite over this cold. We went home feeling very thankful they hadn't decided to monitor David overnight.
David has been seizure free since then but quite fussy. Irritability and fatigue is a side effect of Keppra but hopefully as he adjusts to the medication he will be back to his cheerful self.
He sure gave us a scare and reminded us forcefully how each day with him is a blessing.
No comments:
Post a Comment